Focus and Scope
The journal Tekmeria publishes scholarly articles pertaining to the study of the ancient world, with particular emphasis on Ancient Greek history, epigraphy, numismatics, topography and historical geography, and especially on the publication, republication or exploitation of epigraphic and numismatic materials. All submitted articles that are relevant to the thematic areas covered by the journal are considered by the editorial board, provided they are original and have only been sent to Tekmeria for publication. Book reviews are not included in the journal.
Tekmeria accepts submissions in Greek, English, French, German and Italian.
|Open Submissions||Indexed||Peer Reviewed|
Peer Review Process
The submitted articles are accepted for publication on the basis of the following criteria: (a) their relevance to the scope of Tekmeria as described above, and especially (b) their scholarly merit as substantiated by a blind peer review process. At this stage manuscripts are sent to two external reviewers, who are requested to submit their evaluation within 45 days, barring extraordinary circumstances.
After the review process is completed, authors are informed of the editorial board’s decision to accept, reject or request changes to the article, and also of the content of the referees’ reports. In case of conflicting reviews, the manuscript is sent to a third reviewer.
Although final responsibility for the published articles rests on the writers themselves, the Editorial Board pays the utmost importance to the evaluation and review of the articles by established scholars specializing on the articles’ subject; we consider peer review the sole means to ensure the journal’s prestige and to substantially improve the quality of the submitted articles. The Editorial Board, therefore, wishes to express in advance its deep gratitude to the reviewers for their painstaking work, which rarely receives the recognition it deserves.
All submitted articles, provided that they are relevant to the thematic areas covered by the journal and have only been sent to Tekmeria for publication, are carefully examined by the Editorial Board and then sent to two reviewers for a detailed “blind” review. The evaluation procedure is governed by the following principles, which are meant to guarantee an impartial and reliable review of the articles:
- The authors’ identity is not disclosed to the reviewers nor is the identity of the reviewers disclosed to the authors.
- The reviewers are not allowed to disseminate the article or its content prior to its final publication.
- The Editorial Board does not intervene during the evaluation process.
- The Editorial Board does not override the reviewers’ judgement. In case of a strong disagreement between the two reviewers, the article is sent to a third reviewer, who is informed about the disagreement.
- Authors cannot disregard the reviewers’ suggestions without sufficient justification. The Editorial Board monitors the authors’ compliance with the reviewers’ suggestions.
The reviewing process is carried out through the journal’s digital platform. The Editorial Board seeks reviewers suitable to each article’s specific subject matter. If the reviewers reply affirmatively to the Board’s request, they are expected to send their review to the author within 45 days, barring extraordinary circumstances. They are also expected to be available for any clarifications or follow-ups that may be required.
Content of the reviews
The review consists of two parts.
- Preliminary evaluation: The reviewers are asked to decide whether the submitted article should be accepted for publication or not. In the latter case they should expound on the reasons for the rejection. If the article is deemed acceptable for publications, the reviewers are expected to classify it into one of the following categories:
- to be published without major revisions;
- to be published with some major revisions;
- to be published (for example, on account of the outstanding interest of the subject matter or of the documents published) only after a significant number of corrections and revisions.
It should be noted that reviewers need not deal with the authors’ compliance to the journal’s guidelines, which is a responsibility of the Editorial Board.
Finally, it should be noted that the reviewers are expected to refrain from imposing their personal views in matters where they disagree with opinions properly documented and well-argued. In such cases, they are expected to focus on the quality and structure of the argumentation, and the adequacy of the documentation, rather than on their own personal views.
The journal is issued annually.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public contributes to global knowledge exchange. We encourage authors to deposit their articles, as well as data underlying the publications, in institutional and/or other appropriate subject repositories.
This journal does not have article processing charges (APCs) or article submission charges.