| More

Meningoencephalitis caused by thermal disbudding in goat kids

Views: 187 Downloads: 168
E. XYLOURI (Ε. ΞΥΛΟΥΡΗ), O. SABATAKOU (Ο. ΣΑΜΠΑΤΑΚΟΥ), Th. SAKELLARIADI (SAKELLARIADI Th.)
E. XYLOURI (Ε. ΞΥΛΟΥΡΗ), O. SABATAKOU (Ο. ΣΑΜΠΑΤΑΚΟΥ), Th. SAKELLARIADI (SAKELLARIADI Th.)

Abstract


A case of kids' meningoencephalitis due to head heat application during a thermal disbudding procedure is described. The case was observed in an organic goat farming where the kids about the 7-8th day after their birth were exposed to the application of excessive heat (with an electric device) during disbudding. 2,2% of the kids presented neurological signs and died in few days. The post mortem examination confirmed that the cause was destruction of the frontal bone, at the point where the thermal electric procedure was applied, leading to irreparable injury.

Keywords


μηνιγγοεγκεφαλίτιδα; ερίφια; αποπεράτωση με θέρμανση

Full Text:

PDF

References


Smith Μ., D. Sherman In: Goat Medicine, Lea & Febiger, 1994,pp.l47-149.

Wright, H. J., Adams, D. S., and Trigo, F. J: Meningoencephalitis after hot-iron disbudding of goat kids. Vet. Med. Sm. Anim. Clin., 1983,78: 599-601.

Sanford, S. E: Meningoencephalitis caused by thermal disbudding in goat kids. Can. Vet. J, 1989,30:832.

Μιχαήλ Σ.: Συγκριτική Ανατομική των κατοικίδιων θηλαστικών. Αφοι Κυριακίδη α.ε., Θεσσαλονίκη, 1997.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2018 E XYLOURI, O SABATAKOU, TH SAKELLARIADI

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.